Every year, New Years Eve isn't what I expect :). Last year, I was almost ringing in the New Year in the Salt Lake City airport, but made it with 5 minutes to spare at one of favorite Utahan family's home. This year, I got to play with the little boys all afternoon before cleaning up and going to a very nice restaurant. And the best surprise.... I could eat there!!! And I didn't get sick at all! It's amazing, I loved it. And though I spent more money on dinner than I ever have before, it was totally worth it. And pistachio creme brulee is delicious!
Afterwards, I got to help create a rather delicious fruit salad, beginning with a trip to good old Publix. I must say Publix is disappointing after Wegmans, but there will always be a place in my heart (and stomach) for Publix food. The fruit salad was a big hit before and after playing Catchphrase. I was a newcomer to the game of Catchphrase, but it is quite exciting and addictive, a perfect way to end a year with laughter, excitement, and a little bit of thought (but not too much). For those of you that haven't played it, I strongly suggest that you do. It's like Taboo except faster, more unexpected, and the only word you can't say is the one your team is trying to guess. There's everything from beaker to Look Who's Talking to metaphor to Amy Brennaman to sonic. The New Year came while I was surrounded by new and old friends and lots of joy. Of course, there were a few people missing in person, but they were definitely there in our minds. It was great. Even hours after midnight, the celebration of the beginning of the new year continued.
There was talk about New Years resolutions at dinner, and I realized that I don't usually care to make resolutions around Jan. 1. Any resolutions, for me, usually happen around March 20-21, at the Baha'i new year, Naw Ruz. Those are the decisions that I put thought into, since we have the 19 days of fasting, reflection, and spiritual re-focusing beforehand. Even then, they're not really resolutions like, "This year I will not..." or "This year I will always" but more realizing the things I want to focus on in my life in the coming months. Another thing I love about the beginning of January is that Ayyam-i-Ha and the Fast are just around the corner. I will need to make new Ayyam-i-Ha traditions, since my family will be 800 miles away, but change is good. It keeps life interesting.
So happy new year to all of you I didn't get to see, and I hope this coming year is filled with joy, love, and excitement!
1 comment:
i enjoy you.
and your words.
and i'm glad that i could ring in the new year with you!
Post a Comment