So, tonight I was driving home, marvelling at the many things that have happened over the past few days that make think, "Wait, this is my life?" Things that I hear about happening to other people or that it's been a long time since they happened. I have moved to a new place, and things are very much different. I'm still the same me, but with entirely new people. And I'm being tested in new ways, and having fun in new ways, it's funny.
Tonight I hung out with a couple of the Baha'i undergrads... we had talked about how we needed to have a social network as well as a spiritual network among us, so I offered that we could hang out tonight, and hence I was invited to help make cookies at the Eco dorm. I thought I'd take ice cream, and we'd hang out and make cookies the three of us. I kind of forgot what being in a dorm on a Saturday night is like... there were of course at least 40 people in and out, they were wrapping up a Danc-inox marathon (dance-athon combined with celebrating the equinox), and so there were people with that, plus when you say "cookie" in a dorm, people come running. It's complete craziness at times... it's a cool life, you're surrounded by so many different and interesting people, but I have very little in common with any of them, but it's still cool to feel their energy. But I was definitely ready to leave after a couple hours, ready to get out of the madness and go to a place where I have a kitchen and a bedroom and a living room all together, and don't share that common space with literally hundreds of people. I enjoyed living in the dorm, constantly around other people, it was a fun time, just not for me any more... And I'm doing fun stuff with other math people, including contra dancing last night and Studio 60 premiere tomorrow night. Contra dancing was so much fun and I met some pretty cool people. It's one of those things I never would have seen myself doing in Columbia, but I'm so glad I'm doing it here!
And if I ever use the phone, I'm always surprised to actually talk to someone, and not get their voicemail. It's only been the past few weeks that's been true... I guess we've all just gotten so busy with life.
My home I share with many spiders... those of you that know me know that this is a very very big growth process for me. I hate spiders just as much as I hate cockroaches... and I have gone from one thing to another. But at least spiders have a purpose... they control the bug population. But there are just a lot of creepy crawlies, and I'm not enjoying it. And I have a feeling it will get worse in the winter, because it'll be warm in here and not out there. But today I was standing in my living room, and all of a sudden this spider dropped down from the ceiling right in front of my face!!! Aagh. But I'm learning to deal with it. There are so many I can't kill them all, and even if I do, they'll just come back. Any suggestions?
Enough about spiders, a yucky topic.
I've started acquiring books recently. Books I want to read but have very little time to. I need to get back to the library, which is only about 5 blocks away and yet seems so far, because I never have time when it's open to go! Maybe some time next week, since they're not open tomorrow. I can't wait to know this town better. Little by litte, day by day, right?
No comments:
Post a Comment