Thursday, August 17, 2006

What a day

Today many firsts happened. I bought my first set of curtains that I will hang in my home. I walked up the Buffalo St. hill for the first time. I belonged at an Ivy League school (still mind baffling). I met my fellow graduate students and had TA orientation. I realized that in just a few short days I will be completely in charge of about 30 people for 4 hours a week! 2 hours two days a week! I might not even meet the lecturing professor who I am assisting! A little intimidating. We learn to be a teacher in just 3 days, whereas my lovely friend Alison gets an entire year! I am now jealous of all the time she spent this summer learning different educational techniques and finding ways to keep the students active. Oh well, I got to cook dinner for my fellow grad students from New York, Turkey, and Iceland. I made tacoes with homemade guacamole. It was the first time those from Turkey and Iceland had such things and was pleasantly delighted at their delight about the concept of nachoes... I also now have a chain on my door which relieves my paranoid self. I also planned my first recitation section, though it's fake. I'm exhausted after trying so hard today. It was a lot of work. I need to organize my place more, maybe tomorrow afternoon and Saturday. I'm ready to not be surrounded by boxes. I feel really behind, but I'll catch up. Things are becoming more real day by day.

No comments: