Today, I learned the value of our voice. And how much we use our voice without even knowing it. And how frustrating it can be to not be able to talk. Because today I couldn't. Nothing more than a whisper. And boy was it strange not to be able to control my own vocal chords. It's not something you really think about. Usually the thought process is what you're going to say, not how you're actually going to get the sounds out. I also tested the limits of my cell phone. I really wondered if the three people I needed to talk to on the phone today could actually understand my vague whisperings.
As I was learning the bounds of my laryngitis, I watched the Sound of Music. It was something I had been wanting to do for a while, since I am constantly thinking of "silver white winters that melt into springs" and so today I finally got around to it. And that reminded me of Julie Andrews and her not being able to sing any more. After my research about laryngitis, I thought about her as a very likely candidate for chronic laryngitis after her significant (and incredibly excellent) use of her vocal chords. I know it was something more serious for her, but I could try and possibly imagine her pain after knowing my annoyance after less than a day. I also learned a lot about the larynx today. That was exciting :). To imagine that just a few years ago, we would've had to either know a doctor or go see one to learn this much about what ails us, but now we have Google and a plethora of websites on all topics. So, for these silly things like laryngitis or a sore throat or a cold or the flu, we can suffer it out at home for at least a while, unless it gets worse. Instead of having to pull ourselves out of bed, go to the doctor (where we most likely get someone else sick), just for them to tell us to go home to rest. I always found that a bit ironic, when I was required to go to the Health Centre when I was sick in order to not work or attend class, but all they would tell me (and what I knew already) was I just needed to stay in bed to rest. However, I am extremely grateful for both doctors and modern medicine. I wouldn't be alive today without such things. A basic knowledge of health is also important.
On a happier note, the expedition to IKEA yesterday was lots of fun and rather productive :). I'm excited about my new elements of organization for my apartment :), though my bookcase is still waiting to be put together. I'm a new fan of baskets and their ability to make my apartment so much better :).
No comments:
Post a Comment