Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Nobility

"Anybody can be happy in the state of comfort, ease, health, success, pleasure and joy; but if one will be happy and contented in the time of trouble, hardship and prevailing disease, it is the proof of nobility." - 'Abdu'l-Baha

I had an interesting experience yesterday, and when I read this quote this morning, I thought, "That's exactly it! It's not backwards at all to feel happy despite the troubles I'm dealing with." I went to consult with a friend yesterday about two particular things that have been challenging me over the past couple of weeks, to get some ideas of how to move through them and beyond them, to release the frustration and move forward. The first thing that person said to me though was, "You're looking happy and well today." And I thought, "Huh, that's funny. I guess I am." It's true - the overall mood of my days is contentment and happiness. There's still the thoughts of, "Well, if I can just get through ______, then life will be better." Right now, that blank is the transcription work and finishing my resume.

I have the following quote up in both my office and my bedroom because I need reminding of it. And I think I'll add the quote up above too, to remind me that it's good to aim to be happy with life despite the frustrations. In fact, that's what life is about - finding happiness even amid the ups and downs of this world.

"for a long time it seemed to me that life was about to begin - real life. but there was always some obstacle in the way, something to be gotten through first, some unfinished business, time still to be served, a debt to be paid. at last it dawned on me that these obstacles were my life. this perspective has helped me to see there is no way to happiness. happiness is the way. so treasure every moment you have and remember that time waits for no one. happiness is a journey, not a destination..." - souza

No comments: