Monday, September 10, 2007

Simple gifts

I must say that I'm quite grateful for the little joys today. I introduced Malott 120 to Dutch Blitz today. If you haven't played it, then you really should. It's like Speed/Spit combined with Speed Solitaire, while you're battling at least 3 other people. We decided probably almost 100 rounds were played today alone. My poor cards have been in better condition, but it is such a fun game. I haven't heard so many screams and laughs in that office for a while :). And I even won a couple games! It was great to just relax and put energy into a silly game. And to go to the gym finally, after almost a week away. And to play cards so hard that I got so hungry that I wanted to eat the gluten-filled cake sitting on the Table. So instead, I came home and did laundry and made gluten-free cupcakes (mmmmm) and just read. No math tonight, just taking care of myself and doing the things that I want to do.
It's finally cooled off here, just tonight really. It's been abnormally humid and hot here for the past few weeks, making life without A/C a bit uncomfortable. I think fall might have finally arrived. I love Ithaca in the fall. It's absolutely beautiful, when it's not raining ;). The gorges are full of water, the falls are incredible, the leaves will soon start changing. There's a freshness in the air.
I haven't really been sleeping much over the past few weeks. Partly because of the heat, partly because the moment I wake up, my mind starts racing and I can't get it to stop. I'm doing so much math, that I'm attempting to do math with my sleep. Create automorphisms, write algorithms, calculate groups, finish proofs. I must say, it's not conducive to restful sleep ;). But I had this exhilarating thought last night as I was attempting to fall asleep. I really thought about what it would be like to become an instructor. To teach. I had this image of preparing my first class, and then going and introducing myself to the students. Being in the front of the classroom, with chalkboards behind me, and somewhat resentful freshman in front of me. And felt a deep joy that I haven't felt about school or math in a long time. Not just a "make you smile" joy. Those I've surrounded myself with over the past month. No, this was my heart saying, "Yes, this is what you're supposed to do. This is what you were made to do. This is the reason you have learned all this and suffered through all this." It was such an incredible relief, and I think it will make it easier to do some of these problem sets that seem needlessly painful.
This past week, I spent about 30 hours on one assignment, and the write up was something like 14 pages long. That was just one of my two classes. This coming week, the problem set is 50% longer, so he decided to give us an extra 2 days. Sigh. Exciting things to come in the next few weeks. Green Acre for College Club weekend and B, then going home for Fall Break to see the soon to be 3 boys! and my family, and then going to NYC to see my other B and have a little BWC reunion. I can't wait!
I've been enjoying Ingrid Michaelson and Dawnbreaker Collective over the past couple weeks, as my listening fare. Oh, and I finally saw the first two movies of the Bourne trilogy. Wow. Oh, and "The Ultimate Gift" is a fantastic movie. And now it is time for me to curl up in bed and read more of this fabulous book and enjoy the last moments of my one evening weekend.

No comments: