During my different functions, I observed some of the mothers/fathers with young children vs. the parents of the graduates. This morning my mom said something to me as we hugged for the billionth time about how she was the luckiest person on the world. I said something about being a very lucky person as well, and she replied, "yes, but I'm the luckiest." For some reason, it made me think back to how much has changed since I was born (well all the children, but I was thinking from my perspective specifically). For me, my mom has always been just that - my mom. I'm learning new things about her all the time, but she's still my mom. However, from her perspective, she's watched me develop into a person, becoming someone slightly different every year. Beginning as a baby with very little personality or uniqueness, into a toddler who is just exploring the world and wants to know Why anything and everything, and then through childhood. I began as a baby who just needed her love, and somehow became me. Parents sacrifice incredible amounts for us to become the people that we are. It reaffirms to me the importance of remembering our parents in our prayers every single time that we pray. We owe them that much gratitude and respect. I love being my mother's daughter. But at the same time, it's hard. Everyone loves my mom. And so, next to her, I feel like second fiddle sometimes. Although, I love my mom a lot too, so if there's anyone whose shadow I want to live in, she's definitely on the very short list.Baha'u'llah gives such a high priority to respect for and service to parents:
The fruits that best befit the tree of human life are trustworthiness and godliness, truthfulness and sincerity; but greater than all, after recognition of the unity of God, praised and glorified be He, is regard for the rights that are due to one's parents. This teaching hath been mentioned in all the Books of God, and reaffirmed by the Most Exalted Pen. Consider that which the Merciful Lord hath revealed in the Qur'án, exalted are His words: "Worship ye God, join with Him no peer or likeness; and show forth kindliness and charity towards your parents..." Observe how loving-kindness to one's parents hath been linked to recognition of the one true God!
1 comment:
thanks for sharing the quote. i hadn't heard (or at least not in a long time) and it's really good to know/be reminded of it.
here's another fun quote i once came across:
"growing old is mandatory.
growing up is optional."
Post a Comment