Thursday, March 08, 2007

Very, very long

This week was very full and rather difficult. The math and fasting aspects of it at least. I started a problem set on Monday, and we finished 3 1/3 of 4 problems in just a few hours. And then, those last 2/3 of a problem occupied Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday. Whenever I was at the point of saying, "Forget it, I don't need to solve this. I give up," three hours later I'd still be working on it. And the sad thing is, I didn't even finish it! There were just too many cases. Made me second guess liking algebra ;). However, it was so much easier to work with than all the pure topology stuff. At least my brain didn't hurt trying to imagine what my space looked like, just trying to think of all the special cases. I had many flashbacks to Prof K's class, and I really wish some of math girls were here to help us Chalkboard It! :) But the set's turned in, and on to the next one.
(<-- That's what I felt like, thinking so hard and coming up with things I wanted to stick my tongue out about.)
The Fast (started March 2nd goes through March 20th) has been rather difficult. Though I have been praying for God to help me become more detached and more reliant on Him, so I guess this is what happens :). It's interesting because feeling hungry and watching other people eat is not a foreign concept to me or one isolated to the Fast. So it often takes me a second to remember why I am hungry and the purpose behind being hungry. One is to help remind me to focus on the spiritual rather than physical part of life, another is to help me sympathize with those that are less fortunate and not able to eat on a regular basis. One thing I've thought about is the concept of prayer being food for the soul. When it's 5 pm and I'm really ready to eat, I wonder if my soul has ever felt this "hungry" and that's such a horrible thing to imagine. So, I know that's one thing I want to keep in mind.
One exciting thing from today, my sister got the best scholarship, the one she's been working so hard towards. I knew she was brilliant, I'm glad Oxford realized it. Oxford College that is, as in part of Emory University. My sister will be attending Emory for free. Yes, major kudos go to jules for rocking that interview weekend and being so wonderfully fabulous they couldn't help but give her lots of money. :-D I'm a proud big sister tonight. Oh and I won my first game of dominoes tonight! Yay for better luck.

No comments: