Thursday, November 16, 2006

Crazy natural phenomena

Today was a prime example of how crazy things can be here in Ithaca. For one, it was over 60 degrees today, in late November. Then, this afternoon we had the most bizarre wind and rain combination, with the rain basically coming sideways, and being very bouncy. I kid you not, it was bouncing off the sidewalks, it almost seemed like hail but it was way too warm.
Then tonight, around sunset, as I was walking to the bus stop, the most marvelous thing was in the sky. The majority of the sky was pitch black/gray from the rain, and then there was a strip of sky, looking about a meter wide to the eye, of golden blue sky, and below it another straight line of clouds below it. Turning to the right as we neared the end of tower road, the most amazing silhouette of the old campus buildings and purples and pinks and reds and golds of the sunset. It was breathtaking. I thought to myself, "All the rain and gross weather of today was totally worth this". The sky really did look like someone had just cut a strip out so that we could see the sunset.
Then tonight, I leave my apartment to drive my fellow grad student home, and it was quite foggy. I dropped her off, and on my drive back down the hill, I can literally see the straight line of fog about the little town at the bottom. I park my car and look up and the sky is full of stars!!! After a completely overcast day, when you think it's night because it's so dark, we have perfectly clear skies so I can see the stars! More stars than ever before!!
Complete craziness and beauty, it's amazing.
I got the sweetest card in the mail today, including pictures of my favorite little ones. I don't understand why seeing these children makes me so happy, but it does. I have them spread out here on my desk so I can just always look at them. The three year old took the most amazing black and white shot of mommy and little brother, it's incredible. Then, them in their Halloween costumes, in the pumpkin patch wearing the t-shirts I sent them (and in shorts, which I can't imagine at the end of October any more), and then the most amazing close up of the older one's face and wonderful smile!!!! I love them so much... I miss them! I can't imagine ever having to be this far away from your actual child, I now understand my mother's overprotectiveness and not allowing us to leave before college ;). If I'm this attached to them, I can't imagine how wonderful and bonded it will be when I actually have children.
I'm quite glad this week is almost over, and tonight ended in perfect Thursday evening events, including Wegmans, dinner, movie, and Godiva Belgian Chocolate Ice Cream bars. All you ladies out there, you must try these. They are delightful and worth every penny. And you know me, I've lost my taste for chocolate ice cream, but this is completely different.
I'm very much looking forward to the end of this semester, the end of the responsibilities, etc. I'm kind of glad to be going into a world of academia where this stress ends and gives you a break every now and then. Yes, the summers and holidays are when I get my work done, but all the other things will be out of the picture, and I'll be grateful for that. It's only a week until I get to be in DC! And then only one more week of classes! I can't wait.

No comments: